Jewish city tours,
Local & Cultural Experiences + Identity
Travel advice by locals for Jewish travelers
in Central & South America and Worldwide

Description

Address: San Martn 99
Phonenumber: 03455-492031 / 03455-492191 /492042
Link: www.colonizacionjudia.com.ar/dominguez.htm
Mail: [email protected]

Contact: Carlos Sterin. President: Jaime Jruz. he Province of Entre R�os was a privileged part of the process through which in the late 19th century and early 20th century, thousands of Jewish immigrants left fear and persecution behind, to leave space for hope in a land that promised them freedom and work. The Jewish Colonization Association (JCA) created by Baron Maurice Hirsch set the bases for Jewish colonization in Argentina, which was based on an agricultural project that was developed in different provinces of the country. From 1908, several families - mostly former colonists - settled in the town of Dom�nguez. Their religious needs were covered by building a synagogue that was mantained by the "Knesset Israel" Association, and also functioning as a Hebrew School. The original temple was built in 1923, and in its best moment would receive 120 people every friday night for Kabalat Shabat celebration. It is currently open only on Rosh Hashana (Jewish New Year) and for Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement). The entrance to the temple is made of light colored wood, with a Star of David on its upper side and part of an old purple, turquoise and white vitreaux. The synagogue, which was restored in 1999, has brick walls settled with mud. They are cream-colored and the ceiling surprises us because of its shiny red color. It has large windows that allow for natural lighting. Inside you can see the original pine wood ceiling painted lilac. the wooden benches were made in the wood shops of the Villa Dom�nguez Agricultural Cooperative. The original bimah (stage) has two original marble steps and a small balcony of golden iron.

Where Is?