History of Jewish immigration
The first jews immigrants to arrive in Nicaragua came from Eastern Europe after 1929.
The Jews in Nicaragua were a relatively small community, most lived in Managua. They made significant contributions to the economic development of Nicaragua while engaged in the cultivation, manufacture, and retail sales.
The highest number of Jews in Nicaragua reached an estimated peak of 250 in 1972.
The Jewish Congregation of Nicaragua was the central Jewish organization until 1979.
The community had a synagogue and community center, as well as Bnai Brith lodge and international Zionist Organization of Women chapter ( WIZO ).
That same year, a devastating earthquake hit Managua and destroyed 90 % of the city, prompting many Jews to emigrate.
After 1990, with the change of government, a small number of Jews returned to Nicaragua.
Currently, the Jewish population is made up of about 40 members gathered in 15 families.
Being such a small community, the Nicaraguan kehila had no cases of discrimination against the Jew. In Nicaragua there is no official or public anti-Semitism.
A little about the country
The Republic of Nicaragua is a country located in the geographical center of the Central American isthmus.
It has an area of 129,494 km ² and a population of 5.465.100 inhabitants.
The Nicaraguan people are multi-ethnic.
It describes itself as an independent state indivisible, free, sovereign, unitary and.
Nicaragua is divided into 15 departments and its capital Managua.
The official language is Spanish.
In the Caribbean Coast Creole English, Miskito, and other indigenous languages are spoken. In most tourist destinations English language is spoken.
The climate of the country varies greatly from one coast to another, and can be set three fairly distinct climatic types by region of the country in question.
The currency is the Cordoba Oro (NIO)