Address: Rua da Graca 160 Bom Retiro
Phonenumber: (11) 3811-1314
Mail: [email protected]
The Kehilat Israel Synagogue, known as the Synagogue of Graça, is the oldest of São Paulo, located in the historic Jewish quarter of Bom Retiro.
Its first building was opened in 1912, and a few decades later, the synagogue became too small for the number of attendees and a new building was built in 1954 on the corner of the streets da Graça and Lubavitch, building that survives today as a valuable institution for the history of the Jewish community in São Paulo.
This construction has on the outside wall of the corner, a huge mural full of religious symbols and traces of geography and regions of Israel:
* The image shows Jewish symbols such as: The Lion of Judah, the Torah, the law tables, the menorah.
* You can also observe on the right side, a map of Israel, which is represented in the Sea of Galilee, followed by the Jordan River, the Dead Sea and finally the city of Eilat, in the southern tip of Israel.
* Above the wall, on top of the building, there is a chanukiah, a 9 arms candelabra used during the days of Chanukah (or Festival of Lights).
In February 2016 it was inaugurated inside the institution a Jewish immigration Memorial.