Jewish city tours,
Local & Cultural Experiences + Identity
Travel advice by locals for Jewish travelers
in Central & South America and Worldwide

Description

Address: Corona 273 e/ Habana y Los Maceo
Phonenumber: (53) (22) 686180 or (53) (22)-624913
Link: www.jewishcuba.org/hatikva
Mail: [email protected]

Denomination: Conservative.

The first Jewish Community in Santiago de Cuba was founded in October 1924 under the same Sociedad Unión Israelita de Oriente de Cuba (Israelite Union Society of the East of Cuba).
This organization existed in a rented location until in 1939 they built what would be from then on the synagogue of Santiago de Cuba.

Throughout its history, the synagogue had two Rabbis: Mr. Isaac Chiprut Confí, from 1924 to 1943, and Mr. Victor Farin Sarfati, from 1946 to 1967.

The community was started by Sephardic families who migrated from Turkey. They arrived in Cuba in the early 20th century, bringing with them their customs, their tradition and their language: Judeo-Spanish, also known as Ladino. They came with the hope of improving their lives, an objective they worked towards since their arrival.

Due to World War II, several Ashkenazi families, mainly from Poland, arrived in Santiago de Cuba fleeing Nazi persecution. It was traditional for locals to refer to Jews as 'Poles'.

The community remained active until 1959. Due to mass migration of its members to the United States in the 1960s, the community diminished its activity until it closed its doors in 1980.

In October 1993 Jewish life in Santiago de Cuba was reborn after almost 15 years of inactivity.

The synagogue was consagrated by Shmuel Szteinhendler.

Where Is?