Address: Calle Serrano, 214
Phonenumber: (562) 240 5000 Fax: (562) 243 6244 o 56 2 216-6086
Mail: [email protected]
The old synagogue in Serrano Street was built in 1953 and demolished in 2010.
The first stone of the great synagogue 214 Calle Serrano placed the then Foreign Minister of Israel, Moshe Sharett.
The building, completed in the late 50s, was designed by architect Joseph Dvoredsky, who placed symbolic details, such as the design of the mural presiding imposing temple.
It also had hollowed bricks, allowing perfect acoustics without microphones.
The photographer Pilar Cruz made a book about the Synagogue: "Sensitive memory Serrano Street Synagogue"
ABOUT THE CREATION OF THE COMMUNITY
On 29 September 1909, the Foundational Act of the Israelite Union of Chile was submitted before Chilean justice. Its labor was mainly dedicated toward ensuring Jewish traditional life.
However, some elements of the community believed social life should take a more important role and proposed the creation of a social club.
The Israelite Union of Chile decides to merge with the Commertial Welfare Center, taking the name of ôIsraelite Centerö, decision that was made official on 18 December 1919.
In 1916 another organization is born under the name of Israelite Talmud Torah Congregation, stressing as its objectives to develop Jewish religious and educational work.
So, in 1919 there were two organizations: The Israelite Commercial Center and the Israelite Talmud Torah Congregation, which merge in 1920 into a single organization that is then called Israelite Circle.
Some years later, was created a new organization, which they name ôChevra Kadisha Israelite Religious, Moral and Cultural Societyö, in May 1931. The old synagogue of the Community, located on Serrano Street was built in 1953 and demolished in the year 2010.
On 28 April 1964, this organization is renamed Ashkenazi Israelite Community of Santiago, Kehila.
On 16 August 1982 the Israelite Community of Santiago is founded.
On 16 April 1992, the Israelite Community of Santiago acquired the Merkaz Kehilati (Community Center) which all community activities take place today. Of this historical relationship, it can be said that the Israelite Community of Santiago is today the successor to the first Jewish organization created in the country.